Laffy Taffy is a fun chewy candy that comes in a variety of flavors. What makes it so popular is the creative and silly jokes it brings along with the sweetness. Funny puns and witty questions are printed onto the wrappers for laughs (thus the name, Laffy Taffy). While your dog does not have the privilege to enjoy the comical one-liners, it sure will love to munch on the delicious treat. But is it safe to give your dog Laffy Taffy? Can dogs eat Laffy Taffy?
Laffy Taffy is not toxic to dogs. But it might cause choking or blockage in the digestive tract if your pup swallows it directly. Just like any other candy, it should be given occasionally as a treat. You can feed your dog Laffy Taffy in moderation once in a while.
Candies, regardless of the type, are not ideal for dogs. A chemical called xylitol is used as a sweetener in most candies and gums. Laffy Taffy also uses sugary alcohol. It can be dangerous for a dog’s health. If xylitol is consumed in a large amount, some serious health concerns can occur in pooches.
Laffy Taffy comes in a variety of flavors. The most famous ones are banana, green apple, strawberry, and blueberry. Laffy taffy is made from the ingredients listed below:
- Hydrogenated coconut oil
- Palm oil
- Corn syrup
- Hydrogenated cottonseed oil
- Malic acid
- Calcium acetate
- A small percentage of monoglycerides and diglycerides
- Natural flavors and coloring
Candies should be placed on high countertops or locations inaccessible to dogs. If your dog somehow chunked on a large quantity of Laffy Taffy, it will cause a sudden drop in its blood sugar levels, leading to some health issues like nausea and constipation. Take your dog to the veterinarian if the symptoms worsen.
Some common health problems associated with eating an excess amount of candy include:
- Vomiting and Diarrhea: Dogs can feel nauseous after eating that much candy. It is soon accompanied by frequent vomiting and diarrhea. This can cause acute dehydration in the canine.
- Constipation: Opposing diarrhea, another side effect of eating a lot of sugary content can be constipation. This is very uncomfortable for the dog and can also cause them to lose their appetite.
- Lethargy: Frequent consumption of candies can cause the rate of production of orexin chemicals to slow down. This chemical is responsible for stimulating the feelings of wakefulness. So, eating too many candies can lead to drowsiness and lack of energy, known as lethargy in medical terms.
- Pancreatitis: Ingesting too much high-fat candy can also cause pancreatitis in dogs. It is an inflammation of the pancreas and can be extremely painful for the dog.
- Choking: If your dog ate the immense quantity of the candy without your knowledge, it must have ingested the wrapping too. Candy wrappers can cause choking and even lead to intestinal blockage in the pooch. Both are fatal conditions.
If your dog swallowed many Laffy Taffy candies with wrappers, you need to immediately consult with your veterinarian as the wrappers can cause a severe intestinal blockage. Feed your dog ½ cup of boiled rice for 4 to 5 days if you can’t visit the vet. The rice will help remove the wrappers through the stool.
There is no such thing as a healthy candy. Candies are not a healthy food for both dogs and humans. In the case of dogs, the negative effects of eating a lot of candy can be more severe. The best way to go about it is to give your dog candy only on special occasions.
Dogs can, however, eat candies like Starburst, Skittles, candy corn, sour candy, Smarties, Jolly Ranchers, and Blow Pops in less than 10g quantities.
Related FAQs to dogs and Laffy Taffy
Laffy Taffy, although non-toxic, can cause health problems in dogs if consumed in a large amount. You can still use it as an occasional treat for pooches.
No, Laffy Taffy will not immediately kill a dog. If your dog eats a lot of them, it can lead to some health conditions that can prove fatal over time.
Dogs should not be given chewy or gummy candies. They contain xylitol in them, which can be dangerous for the canine.
Candies usually are non-toxic to dogs as long as they are given in moderation. Make sure to give less than 10g of candy to your pup. Chocolate candies, however, should be avoided at all costs. They can be harmful even if a small amount is ingested.
Final words on whether dogs can eat Laffy Taffy!
As much as you want to see your dog happy, giving it candy is not something you should do. The pooch will love to eat it, but it will only cause it harm in the long run. Laffy Taffy should only be a treat for rare occasions. You can regularly give many other healthy treats to your furry companion.