What Happens When Your Dog Eats Clove?

All dog lovers want their dogs to relish their food and experience different flavors. You can switch the meat type or use different spices to add taste. Some spices are safe for dogs to consume, while others are highly toxic! Dogs can eat certain spices but can dogs eat clove?

Clove is a woody spice that is often used to numb a painful area in the body. It is safe for humans to consume but still disputed for dogs. If you want to find out what the argument is all about, you have landed on the right post today.

Can dogs eat clove?

No, cloves in large quantities are not safe for dogs. This is because cloves comprise an active ingredient called “eugenol”. Eugenol is famous for having anti-inflammatory properties but only for humans. This active substance is highly toxic for dogs and is not safe.

There is a risk for the dogs to develop liver toxicity if cloves are consumed regularly in large quantities.

Scientific research and study

Science backs up the fact that eugenol is toxic for dogs. A study was conducted regarding this back in the 1950s. With 2.5 grams by 10 kg body weight of clove dosage level, vomiting occurred among the dogs.

However, this experiment was brutal because it resulted in two dogs dying, proving that cloves are dangerous for dogs. It happened because those dogs were forced to digest such a high quantity of the toxic substance.

Related Post:  Can Dogs Eat Jellyfish? - Oh, So Dangerous!

What happens if your dog eats cloves?

If your dog accidentally eats a few pieces of cloves, there is no need to panic! There aren’t high levels of toxic substances in a few species of clove, so there is nothing to worry about. Maybe your dog will get an upset stomach, but that is it!

However, clove has similar spices, which can be extremely dangerous for dogs, such as nutmeg.

What if a dog ate lots of cloves?

A situation of any kind can occur. If your dog accidentally consumes a lot of cloves, seek veterinary attention immediately. The veterinarian will ask you about the quantity of clove your dog consumed and provide the treatment accordingly.

Side effects of eating clove for dogs

If your dog consumes a high dosage of clove, then it will cause the following problems:

  • Sadness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Gastrointestinal track blocking

Are all spices toxic for dogs?

No. Not all spices are toxic for dogs. Many spices like turmeric and ginger are safe for dogs because of their anti-inflammatory properties.

On the contrary, some spices, such as bay leaves and cloves, are dangerous for dogs. It is because they have toxic essential oils and eugenol in them.

The spices toxic for dogs include:

  • Bay leaves
  • Nutmeg
  • Chives
  • Garlic/Garlic powder

Related FAQs to whether dogs can eat clove

Is clove oil safe for dogs to smell?

No. Clove oil is toxic for dogs to smell. Many other oils are in the same category, including eucalyptus oil, peppermint, pine, and ylang-ylang.

Can dogs eat clove powder?

No, dogs cannot eat clove powder. Clove contains an active component called eugenol. It is highly toxic for dogs and provokes diarrhea and vomiting.

Concluding our thoughts on whether dogs can eat clove

Closing up, cloves are only super dangerous for dogs when consumed in a large amount. Overdosing on cloves causes liver dysfunction and unconsciousness in most dogs. Even if it is not super dangerous and still in the disputed territory, you should not go around feeding cloves to your pet dog. It is better to be safe than sorry later on!

Related Post:  Dogs and Fried Rice: Facts Vs. Myths
Photo of author

Immad Amir

Immad has a black Labrador who is his first child. With no prior experience of how to take care of his pooch, Immad started researching about what dogs love to eat. This blog is a journal of all the research Immad has done regarding a pet's diet.
We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.
Accept